10 Reasons Iowa is NOT a 10-0 Fraud
A well-known sports host has called Iowa a fraud and has gone on the record that Iowa will not end the regular season unbeaten. While I won't predict 12-0, this team is anything but a fraud and here are 10 reasons why.
Hey, at least Colin knows how to watch the Big Ten Network. I'm pretty sure I remember those stats being given during the Iowa-Minnesota game two different times Saturday night, don't you? Oh, one other thing. Though he doesn't mention him specifically, there can't be anyone who doesn't think C.J. Beathard passes the "eyeball test," that I keep hearing about.
Iowa may not have any 5-star athletes, but isn't that just a projection before their collegiate career even begins? I'll take all ten of these guys (including C.J.) against supposed 5-star athletes any day:
- Iowa tailbacks LeShun Daniels, Akrum Wadley, and Jordan Canzeri. When one or two are down with an injury, the third has stepped up ALL year. Each of them has run for at least 195 yards in a game this season.
- Cornerback Desmond King leads the nation with eight interceptions. Let's hope he returns for his senior season.
- Center Austin Blythe -- the Williamsburg native has been a stalwart on the Iowa offensive line. Look for him in the NFL next year.
- Kicker Marshall Koehn from Solon. Yes, he struggled during the middle part of the season but where would Iowa be without his 57-yard field goal to beat Pittsburgh? Things could be much different if not for that kick splitting the uprights.
- Receiver Tevaun Smith. 20 catches this year -- 17 of them for first downs.
- Receiver Matt VandeBerg. Six games with at least six catches.
- Linebacker Josey Jewell. Another Iowa product, from Decorah, and only a sophomore. His 90 tackles lead the team. Cole Fisher has 82. No other Iowa player has more than 59.
There are others. Iowa may not have the 5-stars, but make no mistake this team does have "stars." They also have ten wins -- one of only five remaining unbeaten teams in the nation. A win Saturday, and there will also be one h--- of a celebration.