10 Things You Didn’t Know About Bacon
Americans love bacon. That fact won't shock anyone, but there are plenty of other facts about bacon that you don't know! As we get ready for the 2nd annual Baconfest at the Newbo City Market on Saturday, September 20, we present: 10 Things You Didn't Know About Bacon!
- Bacon is actually addictive! It produces 6 types of umami (translated from Japanese it means "a pleasant, savory taste), which produce an addictive response in your brain.
- Every year, over 1.7 billion pounds of bacon are consumed -- that's the weight of eight and a half aircraft carriers!
- 69% of all food service operators serve bacon.
- Bacon is one of the oldest processed meats in history. The Chinese began salting pork bellies in 1500 B.C.
- Canadian bacon isn't really bacon. It's fully cooked, smoked pork loin.
- Bacon and eggs are eaten together 71% of the time!
- Bacon appeals to males just slightly more than females.
- Bacon is consumed at breakfast an average of 12 times per person, per year.
- One 250 pound pig yields around 23 pounds of bacon.
- 59% of bacon is consumed on weekdays.