Cause of Cedar Rapids Apartment Fire Has Been Determined
A late-evening fire Monday at Hawthorne Hills Apartments actually started outside.
Cedar Rapids firefighters responded to 2273 C Street SW at 10:08 Monday night and saw a fire near a one-story maintenance building that was attached to a two-story apartment building.
The fire department was able to evacuate all residents before extinguishing the fire. This morning, they revealed their investigation determined an outside trash can located next to the one-story building is where the fire started. They believe it was caused by discarded smoking materials.
No injuries were reported in the fire which destroyed two apartments and heavily damaged four others.
[via Cedar Rapids Fire Department]