Fire officials believe a Cedar Rapids home is a total loss after a Sunday house fire. The blaze began around 4:30 p.m. at 512 12 Street SE.

The owner of the home, Curtis Benson, told KCRG that the fire began outside of the home. He noted that there was a loud pop and then something fell from a utility pole and landed on his garage which caught fire. Benson said that he and a friend tried to use a hose to fight the fire but it got too hot so they called 9-1-1.

The family inside the home was able to escape safely. The American Red Cross is assisting the family after the fire.

 

[via KCRG]