Downtown Construction Moves This Year’s Freedom Festival Parade to New Route
Green Square Park in downtown Cedar Rapids is in the midst of a well-publicized reconstruction which has forced a major change in the route for this Saturday's Freedom Festival Parade.
The "normal" parade route passes Green Square Park on two sides, but this year it's simply not doable. That, combined with a lot of other road construction in the downtown area, has moved this year's parade to a starting point on the other side of the Cedar River.
The parade begins at the corner of C Street and 16th Avenue Southwest, crosses the Cedar River on 16th Avenue, turns left on 3rd Street Southeast and ends at the corner of 9th Avenue and 4th Street Southeast. A visual look at the route is below.
Here's a list of streets that will be closed Saturday from 7:30 am to 12:30 pm to accommodate the parade, via the City of Cedar Rapids.
· 9th Avenue SE from 3rd Street SE to 4th Street SE
· 3rd Street SE from 9th Avenue SE to 16th Avenue SE
· 16th Avenue SE from 3rd Street SE to and across the Bridge of Lions and from the Bridge of Lions across 16th Avenue SW to C Street SW
· C Street SW from 16th Avenue SW to 21th Avenue SW
· 17th Avenue SW from A Street SW to C Street SW
· 20th Avenue SW from A Street SW to B Street SW
· 21st Avenue SW from A Street SW to C Street SW
· A Street SW from 16th Avenue SW to 21th Avenue SW
· 11th Avenue SE from 3rd Street to 4th Street SE
The parade begins at 10 Saturday morning, so be sure to put on your red, white, and blue and get there early for the best spots for viewing. Be sure to give Brain and Courtlin a big wave when you see 'em. Also, please don't bring pets to the parade. That's policy for this event, for the safety of parade-goers, entrants, and your pets as well.