Garage Sale Tips & Tricks
The World's Largest Garage Sale is THIS Saturday at the Hawkeye Downs Expo Center and here are some tips and tricks for you, whether you're buying or selling this spring.
First, some tips for sellers.
- If you haven't used it in a year, you probably don't need it. Sell it and declutter.
- Gather up your items, and don't be in a rush. It'll take a while. Price as you go. Wait to do that all at once, and you've got a nightmare on your hands.
- Attend another sale or multiple ones, and see what you like and what you don't. Copy the good and don't repeat the bad.
- The more people involved, the more stuff and the better the sale. Invite family members to join or have a neighborhood sale.
- Price to sell. The better the price, the more you sell and the less you have to pack up or take somewhere else.
Tips for buyers:
- Learn the art of negotiation. It never hurts to ask and many times it can save you some big money. Remember, they want to get rid of what they have for sale, which puts you in power.
- Consider the best times to shop. Early is a very popular time, even before a sale opens. However, if you're looking for the very best deals, going near closing time might serve you best.
- If you're looking for a specific item, do research ahead of time. You can search out sales and particular items for sale, but you can also investigate what you should/shouldn't pay for them.
- What's your objective? Are you buying items to resell for a profit? If so, again research what's selling well online so you're buying things you can make money on.
- When shopping, be sure to ask yourself if it's a want or a need. If it's a want, you might want to reconsider. If you truly need it, a garage sale might be the perfect place to find it at a lower price.