Get the Grill Ready – Saturday is National Hamburger Day
National Hamburger Day is on Memorial Day weekend? How perfect!
One day every year is set aside to celebrate hamburgers, and that day is May 28th. Why? Well, why not?!
I'm not going to get into the history of the hamburger, because it's origin is greatly disputed, but I will offer you up some fun hamburger facts:
- The first Big Mac was sold in 1968, and the price was only 49 cents
- The word "hamburger" came from Hamburg steaks, which were introduced to the US by immigrants from Germany
- Hamburgers weren’t really popular until after they were introduced at the St. Louis World’s Fair in 1904
- Around 50 billion burgers are eaten by Americans every year
- The world's largest hamburger was created by Black Bear Casino Resort in Carlton, Minnesota in 2012, and it weighed approximately 2,014 pounds
- There's a guy named "Hamburger Harry" that has collected over 10,000 hamburger items, including a hamburger bed and a hamburger Harley [PICS]
There are plenty of great places to get burgers in the state of Iowa, but I'd have to say my favorite is Zombie Burger in Des Moines (coming soon to Iowa City!). I also love Saucy Focaccia, and Brain's favorite is Starlite Room. Chuckwagon Restaurant in Adair was just named the winner in the Iowa's Best Burger Contest for 2016. Here are the rest of the top 10:
- Ankeny Diner, Ankeny
- BW's Burgers, West Des Moines
- Down Right Delicious, Clarinda
- Elm's Club, Creston
- First Street Grille, Keosauqua
- PerXactly Bar & Grill, Maquoketa
- Rides Bar & Grill, Fort Dodge
- The Ritz, Arnolds Park
- Vaughn's Cafe & Bakery, Clarinda
Let's get this debate started! Where's your #1 favorite place to get a burger in Iowa? Share yours in the comments!