Happy National Drink Wine Day!
Wine lovers, today is just for you!
In case you didn't know, February 18th is a wonderful holiday called "National Drink Wine Day." This day was created to celebrate all things wine, and to "spread the love and health benefits of wine." Whether you like light or dark, sweet or dry, big glasses or small, today is a day that we don't discriminate, but embrace ALL forms of wine and their deliciousness!
There are so many great wineries right here in Eastern Iowa that it's hard to pick a favorite, but I really enjoy Cedar Ridge Winery in Swisher, White Cross Cellars in Amana, and Ackerman Winery in Amana. I'm all about sweet and fruity wine! Here are some fun facts about wine to read while you're contemplating what bottle to pop open:
- The top 3 countries that produce the most wine are Italy, France, and Spain. The US comes in at 4th.
- Not all wines improve with age! Actually, over 90% of them should be consumed within the first year.
- The top producers of wine in the US are California, Washington, and New York.
- As white wine gets older, it gains color, but as red wine ages, it loses color.
- A 5-ounce glass of wine has about 100 calories. Wine is also fat-free and cholesterol free!
- In ancient Rome is was FORBIDDEN to women to drink wine, and if a man caught his wife drinking it he could KILL HER!
- There is a world champion wine sniffer who recognized 43 out of 50 wines just by smelling them! Second place didn't even come close, only recognizing 4 out of 50. This guy really knows his wine!
- Always keep your wine laying down, otherwise the cork can dry or shrink and allow oxygen to get inside.
- There is increasing evidence that wine (in moderation) can be good for your health! It can aid in weight loss, help preserve memory, increase your immunity, and even prevent bone loss.
Don't forget to enjoy a glass of wine tonight in honor of this joyous occasion!