Last-Minute Ways to Serve Others This Christmas
It's important to find ways to give back at the holidays and there are several organizations in need of your time, monetary donations and supplies in Eastern Iowa.
- Click the link above for places to donate resources to help the homeless.
- Waypoint is a shelter for abused women and children that always has a need for volunteers and donations. Visit their website, Facebook page and list of donation needs to find out how you can help. They need cleaning supplies, toiletries and non-perishable food items on an ongoing basis. You can also donate things like bus passes, gas or grocery gift cards, new towels and pillows
- Visit them to find out how you can donate. Their current needs include perishable and non-perishable food items for their Sunday meals, as well as cleaning supplies for both the families visiting and for use at the shelter. Financial donations are also accepted. Their donations needs list is at their website. Be sure to inquire with them before donating at 319-366-7999.
- Families may be going without a comfortable Christmas due to the financial hardship of losing pay from their employers at the former Clarion Hotel in Cedar Rapids. Several drop-off spots are available to offer donations: Just Coz, 402 6th Street SW, Skin Worthy Tattoo, 1601 6th Street SW, Air Filter Sales and Services, 210 33rd Street Drive SE. There is also a GoFundMe page set up for you to help.
- The new year is a good time to clean out your closets and donate unused items to the Goodwill. There are four convenient donation sites in Cedar Rapids and Marion. Find your nearest location and donate today.
- The United Way has great volunteer opportunites at the holidays and year-round. Call 211 or visit their website.
There are also animals in Eastern Iowa in need of homes, food and supplies this holiday season as well.
- Search their list of adoptable pets and needs for supplies. Their work fully depends on donations and help from volunteers, so contact them at 319-200-4880.
- Saint Rescue is a cat shelteralways taking volunteers and monetary or supply donations
- Find several adoptable cats at their website as well as their donation needs list here. Purina brand cat foods are always a big need, along with paper towels, trash bags, cleaning supplies, blankets, comforters, sheets, towels, gift cards to Wal-Mart, Target, PetSmart or Petco.
- Call them at 319-551-7537 to learn how to help.
- Make a monetary or supply donation of wet or dry pet food, two-handled leashes, treats, toys, bathing supplies and various cleaning supplies like Windex, dish detergent, unscented bleach, tall kitchen garbage bags, lint rollers and more.
- Volunteer, adopt or donate by contacting the CVHS at 319-362-6288 or their website.
[Via Cedar Rapids Homeless Shelter Directory, Waypoint, Waypoint, Waypoint Facebook page, Waypoint, Willis Dady Emergency Shelter, Willis Dady Emergency Shelter, KDAT, Clarion Families GoFundMe Page, Goodwill, Goodwill, United Way of East Central Iowa, United Way of East Central Iowa, Last Hope Animal Rescue, Last Hope Animal Rescue, Last Hope Animal Rescue, Saint Rescue Cedar Rapids, Saint Rescue Cedar Rapids, Cedar Valley Humane Society, Cedar Valley Humane Society]