Work Begins on Two Cedar Rapids Bridges Next Week
A third of Cedar Rapids downtown bridges will see construction beginning Tuesday with one of them closed completely until late-summer.
When the Fourth of July holiday end, work will start on both the 1st Avenue Bridge AND the 16th Avenue Bridge. The 16th Avenue Bridge will totally close to traffic. Here's what you need to know.
Traffic impacts to the 1st Avenue Bridge:
- Eastbound traffic will be reduced to one lane
- Two westbound travel lanes will remain open to traffic
- The sidewalk on the bridge's south side will be closed
- No Parking will be allowed on the bridge during construction.
- Handicapped accessible parking will be available on the SE corners of the building along 1st St. and 2nd Ave.
- The first stage of construction should be done by the middle of August, depending on the weather. The entire project should be completed by early fall.
Traffic impacts to the 16th Avenue Bridge:
- The bridge will be completely closed until late summer
- The sidewalk on one side of the bridge will still be available for pedestrians
- Work expected to continue 'til near the end of August
The work on both bridges is considered routine maintenance to keep them in good condition for years to come. Later in the summer, work will also begin on the 8th Avenue Bridge. A starting date for that project has not been announced.
[via City of Cedar Rapids]