Be Prepared for ‘Miserably Hot’ Temperatures This Weekend
If you're planning to do outdoor activities or you're headed to the Great Jones County Fair Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, be prepared, because things are going to be HOT.
If you're trying to plan ahead for the weekend, when it comes to clothing, less is definitely more. I was reading my weekly forecast this morning when I saw the words "steamy" and "miserably hot," and they were used to describe the weather that will be coming up Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. For some reason, Mother Nature was like, "hey! I heard you guys have a huge event coming to town this weekend. Want me to crank things up? No? Ok, I'm doing it anyways." I mean, it's definitely better than storms, but it's going to make this weekend's GJCF very uncomfortable and sticky.
Here's the forecast for the next few days in Monticello, according to the Weather Channel:
- Wednesday - High of 88, low of 74. Scattered thunderstorms expected. 79% humidity.
- Thursday - High of 96, low of 74. Mainly sunny. UV index of 9 of 10.
- Friday - High of 94, low of 73. Sunny skies. UV index of 9 of 10.
- Saturday - High of 89, low of 73. Scattered storms possible in AM. Partly cloudy skies late. UV index of 9 of 10.
- Sunday - High of 84, low of 63. Scattered storms in the AM. Partly cloudy skies late. UV index of 9 of 10.
When the UV index is between 8 and 10, the EPA says that means there's a, "very high risk of harm from unprotected sun exposure." They say, "take extra precautions because unprotected skin and eyes will be damaged and can burn quickly." That means bring sunglasses, a hat, and lots of sunscreen, which you should apply every couple of hours.
Some other tips for super hot weather include wearing loose-fitting, light-colored clothing, especially cotton-like fabrics. Also, make sure you stay hydrated! Especially between the hours of 10am and 4pm.
No matter what the weather is like, we know this weekend is still going to be ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, and we hope to see you out at the GJCF this weekend! :)