Iowa Is Home to Five of the Best Cities in the U.S. To Get a Job
Job seekers, come to Iowa. That could easily be the message sent to people around the nation having trouble landing a new opportunity. Five Iowa cities are ranked in the top 100 best places to get a job.
The best job markets in the nation were ranked by Zippia, after examining the metropolitan areas current unemployment rate, change in unemployment rate, and wage change. After compiling the data for 386 different metropolitan areas across the U.S., Waterloo comes in as the top-ranked Iowa city.
Waterloo-Cedar Falls is number nine on the list with an unemployment rate of 2.7 percent, a total of 88,160 people employed, and the annual mean wage is $41,450. You can see some of Waterloo's current job openings HERE.
Here's where other Iowa cities came in on the list:
Unemployment Rate Employed population Average Wage
- #17-Ames 1.5% 43,960 $48,040
- #46-Cedar Rapids 2.8% 140,640 $47,830
- #54-Des Moines 2.3% 363,420 $49,420
- #82-Iowa City 1.9% 92,010 $47,450
Here are the Top 10 places to get a job across the U.S.
- San Jose, CA 2.4% 1,089,070 $78,990
- San Luis-Obispo, CA 2.6% 116,630 $48,740
- Odessa, TX 2.8% 68,280 $47,160
- Midland, TX 2.1% 88,270 $53,190
- Charleston, SC 2.3% 336,560 $44,500
- Blacksburg, VA 2.9% 69,370 $42,960
- Florence, SC 3.2% 84,850 $41,010
- Ann Arbor, MI 2.8% 213,990 $56,160
- Waterloo, IA 2.7% 88,160 $41,450
- Roanoke, VA 2.9% 152,640 $43,650